Where can I get legal help?
Legal information online
- Arizona Bar Foundation: www.AzLawHelp.org
- Arizona State Bar Association: www.azbar.org
- Arizona Supreme Court: www.AzCourtHelp.org
- American Bar Association: https://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/resources/law_issues_for_consumers/
- Arizona State University Ross-Blakley Law Library Self-Help Guide to Legal Informationhttps://lawlib.asu.edu/node/200#General
- University of Arizona Daniel F. Cracchiolo Law Library Research Guideshttps://lawlibrary.arizona.edu/research/research-categories-4
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Mediators are experienced facilitators who help people discuss and resolve their dispute. Arbitrators make a binding decision that resolves a dispute that was submitted to them by the parties.
- The Arizona Academy of Mediators and Arbitrators website: https://www.azmediators.org/
- Roster of mediators prepared by the Maricopa County Superior Court Self-Service Center http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/SuperiorCourt/AlternativeDisputeResolution/Mediators/Index.asp.
- American Arbitration Association: 602-734-9333
Free and reduced fees for legal services
- Arizona Community Legal Services provides legal advice for people whose income is below a certain level http://clsaz.org/locations.html
- Southern Arizona Legal Aid provides legal advice for people whose income is below a certain level https://www.sazlegalaid.org/contact
- DNA People’s Legal Services provides free civil legal services to low-income people https://dnalegalservices.org/home/ 928-871-4151
- Volunteer Lawyer Program in Tucson, 520-623-9465, offers free & reduced fee legal help and self-help clinics. The Volunteer Lawyer Program in Phoenix is coordinated by Community Legal Services.
- In the Phoenix area reduced rates may be available through the ASU Law Group http://asulawgroup.org/ 602-251-3620.
- Other resources may be available through the local or county bar association where you live:
- Navajo Nation Bar Association – 928-871-2211
- Coconino County Bar Association – coconinobar.com
- Maricopa County Bar Association – 602-257-4200 -- https://maricopabar.org/
- Mohave County Bar Association -- www.mohavecountybar.org/contact.html
- Pima County Bar Association – 520-623-8258 – www.pimacountybar.org
- Yavapai County Bar Association -- http://yavbar.org/
Other bar associations listed by the State Bar of Arizona
Legal triage, short consultations, & reduced fees
- Maricopa and Pima counties have lawyer referral services providing a 30-minute consultation with a lawyer.
- A fee covers administrative expenses; the lawyer donates his/her time.
- Maricopa County Lawyer Referral Service - 602-257-4434 Fee - $40
- Pima County Lawyer Referral Service – 520-623-4625 Fee - $35
- The Arizona Legal Center provides legal services to underserved groups. It also provides legal “triage” by assessing your case for possible claims, defenses, & remedies, then providing referrals and resources.https://arizonalegalcenter.org/ 480-727-0127
- Modest Means Project offers a 1-hour meeting for $75 https://www.azflse.org/modestmeans/; azlawhelp.org 866-637-5341 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Some lawyers offer “unbundled” services or “limited scope representation,” where the client and lawyer have an agreement that the lawyer will perform specific services instead of providing full representation. The client handles the case.
A roster of attorneys in the metropolitan Phoenix area is here: https://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/SuperiorCourt/FamilyCourt/Rosters/Attorney/lawMap.aspx
You can also talk to a lawyer about it or do an online search for unbundled legal services.
- Certified Legal Document Preparers are not attorneys and cannot give legal advice, but they can provide general legal information. They are certified by the Arizona Supreme Court to prepare legal documents on your behalf. https://www.azcourts.gov/cld/Legal-Document-Preparer-Program. You can find them using an online search.
Programs for specialized issues
Bankruptcy Court Self Help Center: http://www.azb.uscourts.gov/filing-without-attorney
Arizona Justice Project seeks justice for the innocent and wrongfully imprisoned: Azjusticeproject.org
602-274-6779 or 800-927-2260 (Phoenix)
520-327-9547 or 800-922-1447 (Tucson)
Sexual & Domestic Violence
Get help now
- Check the website of your local county court for information, forms, and procedures. There are links below.
- Justice Courts handle civil lawsuits where the amount in dispute is $10,000 or less and small claims cases where the amount in dispute is $3500 or less. Many people handle their cases themselves. https://www.azcourts.gov/AZ-Courts/Justice-Courts.
- Superior Courts are courts of general jurisdiction. They conduct trials and handle legal issues involving property valued at $1000 or more, criminal cases, probate (wills, estates), dissolutions (divorces), and other matters.
Justice Court and Superior Court information for each county
- Justice Court: https://www.co.apache.az.us/justice-courts/
- Superior Court: https://www.co.apache.az.us/superior-court/
- Justice Court: https://www.cochise.az.gov/justice-peace/home
- Superior Court: https://www.cochise.az.gov/clerk-superior-court/home
- Justice Court: https://www.coconino.az.gov/186/Justice-Courts
- Superior Court: https://www.coconino.az.gov/132/Clerk-of-the-Superior-Court
- Justice Court: http://www.gilacountyaz.gov/government/courts/business_hours.php
- Superior Court: http://www.gilacountyaz.gov/government/courts/index.php
- Justice Court: https://www.graham.az.gov/184/Courts-Judicial
- Superior Court: https://www.graham.az.gov/186/Clerk-of-the-Superior-Court
- Justice Court: https://www.co.greenlee.az.us/elected-officials/courts/justice-courts-home
- Superior Court: https://www.co.greenlee.az.us/elected-officials/courts/
La Paz County
- Justice Court: http://co.la-paz.az.us/156/Courts
- Superior Courthttps://www.lapazsuperiorcourtclerk.com/index.html
- Justice Court: http://justicecourts.maricopa.gov
- Superior Court: https://superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/
- Justice Court: http://www.navajocountyaz.gov/Departments/Justice-Court
- Superior Court: http://www.navajocountyaz.gov/Departments/Superior-Court
- Justice Court: http://www.pinalcountyaz.gov/pages/Courts.asp
- Superior Court: http://www.pinalcountyaz.gov/Judicial/Pages/home.aspx
Santa Cruz County
- Justice Court: https://www.santacruzcountyaz.gov/Search?searchPhrase=justice%20cour
- Superior Court: https://www.santacruzcountyaz.gov/130/Superior-Court
- Justice Court: http://courts.yavapai.us/yavapai-county-justice-court-precinct
- Superior Court: http://courts.yavapai.us/superiorcourt/
- Justice Court: https://www.yumacountyaz.gov/government/courts/justice-court
- Superior Court: https://www.yumacountyaz.gov/government/courts/superior-court
If you can't find what you're looking for in the FAQ's, please fill out this form and we'll get back to you within two business days.